Oct 21, 2010

Continuing A Tradition

The first Sketch was made entirely within Game Maker (except for the music, which was made in FL Studio). All of the graphics were created with Game Maker's wonderful little drawing system, and although I admit I could have done a better job on some of the sprites (for those who don't know, sprites are the name for the actual graphics, not including backgrounds), I was happy with the overall results. Even though I'm not exactly a Da Vinci when it comes to drawing, I pride myself in being imaginative and creative and "bringing to life" creatures never seen before in a game.

With Game Maker 8's updated and improved drawing system, I want to continue the tradition of "hand drawn graphics". That means:

- No Photoshop
- No GIMP
- No Illustrator
- No MS Paint
- No use of somebody else's graphics

I was sort of alone in that respect when I made the first Sketch, when a lot of people were making Mario and Zelda clones, or using sprites from video games. But now I realize I was on the verge of a sort of trend of hand drawn, amateurish graphics. I didn't start the trend, far from it, but I was doing it when few were, before it became popular.

I wish more people would do it, it's awesome building a game entirely by hand like that.

And with Sketch 2, things will be no different. My drawing skills have gotten a little better, but that quirky, humorous effect of somewhat poorly drawn sprites and backgrounds will still be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment